Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ocho

This month my younger brother turns eight. All day I have been asking myself, what do you get for an eight-year-old boy? More specifically, an eight-year-old boy who tires of his toys after a month if they have not broken by then.

Luckily, I did not have to agonize over it for long, as Walgreen's had Wisconsin Badgers wallets and keychains on the cheap. Insert cash, and voila: birthday gift!

But the challenge did not end there; eight-year-olds, for the most part, are not terribly interested in opening cards, and this issue was only complicated further by my bland card stash. Greeting cards are horrendously overpriced, but packets of ten or twelve blank cards are not only reasonable but also force you to write an original message. What's the point of sending a card if you're not going to write anything in it? And what kid enjoys his family forcing him to read each card aloud before ripping into its corresponding gift!? Yes, ours does. Especially when you are learning to read.

Somewhere between selecting a gift box and searching for tissue paper, I had an idea. Here's the thing - I LOVE giving gifts, and I can't stand having to do with a candle or gift card for lack of any better idea. I got to work, and the finished product turned out even better than I ever could have imagined, and I am so EXCITED about it, that (despite how narcissistic it may make me look, this is my blog)- I just have to share. Without further ado:












Many thanks to Google and Wikipedia.

The only problem now? How do I follow THAT with Christmas right around the corner??? Hahahaha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment